RPG: Metanoia: A Level Up for Philippine Cinema

Optimistic about this because it is a gamer movie.


I am not really usually excited of the undertakings of “the other side” but I want to watch RPG: Metanoia. This is one of two Star Cinema films that will be shown as official entries in the 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival (browse for the other entry). When I saw its trailer in ANC, it got me hooked. I’ve mellowed down lately but I am a fan of going to computer shops and playing games with friends. I wasn’t a fan of Role Playing Games though. These games became popular when I started working and I vowed to veer away from Ragnarok, Tantra, and all those other “24/7” games when I can’t keep up with the levels of my friends.

RPG: Metanoia is all about a gamer who likes to do things in his world solo. That Santino kid, Zaijian Jaranilla leads the film that also involves a bunch of Goin Bulilit kids, Vhong Navarro, Eugene Domingo, and Philippine movies’ “King of Awesome”, Aga Muhlach. Eventually this movie will lead him to realize what he is missing out and happy ending should occur. I like Disney and Dreamworks animation because their films demonstrate how great storytellers they are. Star Cinema is a movie outfit that can do such. I am a big fan of Trip, Jologs, Narinig mo na ang latest, Kailangan Kita, Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo, and those John Lloyd movies.

Kill me... but you can get a lot of cheesy lines and moves when you John Lloyd yourself.

Juma-John Lloyd amputa!  

Ahem.

Surely, there will be a lot of people who would pay 300 pesos to catch the flick in 3D. This is the first ever 3D animated film of the Philippines. Remember when a lot of people trooped to the cinemas just to catch the first 2d animation, Isko: Adventures in Animasia? Sure, the Ogie Alcasid/Michael V film never really resembled hell on earth but it got a lot of people to check them out despite its weak story.

I was never a fan of science fiction movies because they use graphics to make their movies watchable rather than tell a story. I saw the second Matrix movie and I literally slept. I still check out The Incredibles, Monsters, Inc., Shrek, Up, Toy Story, and other well-produced animations because of their awesome scripts. Hopefully RPG: Metanoia could give just that.




I hope the 3D work in this pic is commendable but more than anything else, I am looking forward to the gamer story. I think this is also the first time that the mind of a gamer is featured in a non-Imbestigador, non-I-Witness/Reporter’s Notebook manner. Perhaps the people who don’t understand the psyche of gamers will be enlightened.

Time to log in to your nearest cinemas?

Ugh. Bad pun!

I’m probably going to think of a good pun for my RPG: Metanoia film review.

Game over.


0 Awesome Critics:

Post a Comment