Boston Bruins wins the Stanley Cup!



I don’t really know much about hockey. The only time I found it interesting was when I watched those Mighty Ducks flicks or when I saw an old school hockey show with Wayne Gretzky battling it out against Mario Lemieux.

However, when I was watching UFC 131, I heard a bunch of Vancouver fans churned out boos at the sight of Boston native Kenny Florian. I am a fan of Florian (I am going to say that I am a fan of every UFC fighter produced in the first Ultimate Fighter season) but I really wondered why the people of Vancouver jeered Ken-Flo loudly.

And then it hit me...

It’s the Stanley Cup.




The Boston Bruins finished off a 39-year title drought by defeated the Vancouver Canucks in Game 7 on the road, 4 to nil. Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron, two names I now know scored two goals apiece to fashion out their first title since 1972. This is the franchise’s sixth Stanley Cup since their entry to the National Hockey League in 1924.

The series was hard fought with the Canucks winning the home games (1, 2, and 5) as did the Bruins (3, 4, and 6). However the trend broke when Boston became the hungrier squad and unleashed a 3-0 deficit in the first forty minutes of play.

Goalie Tim Thomas (no relation to the former NBA star) was named the Conn Smythe Trophy winner for stopping 37 shots to seal the victory for the Bruins.  

The Canucks will have to wait for another year to break their 41-year curse. I don’t know if there are any Lebron James’ clones in the Vancouver dugout but losing a Game 7 like that... at home is one of the worst things that can ever happen to a franchise.

Congratulations to the Boston Bruins!

Hopefully someone will send me a replica of their jersey!

Game over!

0 Awesome Critics:

Post a Comment