A Knight's Tale - The Blast from the Past Review



I never really cared how the critics panned the flick. I am a fan of this movie. I admit that my delight with the teen flick that was loosely based on William Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, 10 Things I Hate About You, was enough for me to check out the musings of Heath Ledger. I thought Ledger was good in that film which also featured Julia Stiles, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Larisa Oleynik. I then checked out a bunch of his other flicks like The Patriot and Monster’s Ball but his performances in The Dark Knight as well as this flick boosted my ginarmous man-crush on his talents.

Did I just say man-crush?




Returning to the topic, I caught it again while I was checking out Star Movies and again it got me glued. I know the movie, but I had to check the basis of my fascination. So as I watched scene by scene, the results creep in on my head.

First up are the actors. Like I said, I am huge Ledger mark. However, I am also a huge Mark Addy mark. I first saw Addy in the critically-acclaimed Brit flick The Full Monty. As a chubby stripper, he laid down the groundwork for an enjoyable piece. I am also a big fan of Paul Bettany. Back then I thought he was Notting Hill’s Spike. Well that wasn’t right. Eventually I will like Shannyn Sossamon for getting featured in 40 Days and 40 Nights (the flower thing was nice on-cam but is totally fake in real life... if you used a dama de noche) and Alan Tudyk for playing a pirate in Dodgeball.

Second, I am never a fan of too much seriousness. The English Patient was nice the first time I watched it but eventually it bored me. Same with other artsy flicks. The awesome flicks I consider bordering into artsy are Life is Beautiful, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Shakespeare in Love, Sideways, Almost Famous, and Jerry Maguire. There are still others but these are the flicks that’s inside my head right now. A Knight’s Tale is a flick that is easy to digest. Sure it was predictable but it entertained the hell off me.

Third is the mood it set. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a sports film. The jousting was perceived as if viewers are treated to a modern sport. It was also funny that it featured a bit of sports science with the armor (it also helped that the girl blacksmith added a Nike-like logo on it). And then I checked out the historical values it attempted to tackle and I was contented with the thought. I am a huge history nut as well and the previewing of Geoffrey Chaucer before he could write the Canterbury Tales is nice. While I saw a bunch of unnecessary scenes, I was delighted for most parts. The lightness of the story was further backed by an outstanding soundtrack filled with glam rock tunes and Queen. Hell, I don’t even like dancing in the movies but I found their dancing scene forgivable.

And lastly... this.  




The comedy of the flick is easy to digest. It wasn’t forced, it was sarcastic at times, but it was delivered properly. The punchlines are predictable and yet you want to see it unravel. I guess this is what flicks packed with unintentionally hilarity fail to check out. Paul Bettany during breaks should be laughing the hell out because of the lines he needs to deliver. Sure he is a pro but still... the Protector of Italian Virginity.

Really.

In all, the movie was effective in capturing my attention. Sure, my attention span could be compared to a somewhat intelligent stoner... but so is the rest of the world. It was a commercial success that a majority of people enjoyed.

That’s rare.

I’m going to do this whole reviewing past movies more often.

Game over.

1 Awesome Critics:

I've just installed iStripper, and now I can watch the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.

November 20, 2016 at 2:56 AM comment-delete

Post a Comment