Contagion - The Review



I was at Trinoma with Cindy. I wanted to watch Thelma because I love the current influx of quality Filipino movies in the cinemas but then I fear that the movie will be too dramatic for me.

Maja Salvador stars in the flick that tells a story of a girl that needs to run in order to live. Former Olympian and track star Elma Muros also stars in the movie.

In the end, I flip-flopped and watched Contagion.




I’m going to watch Rakenrol next week.

Promise.




Anyway Contagion is a thrilling movie about a virus that breaks out in one place and creates chaos in the rest of the world. The movie stars an ensemble of huge stars led by Laurence Fishburne, Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, and Marion Cotillard. The movie also stars Jennifer Ehle, Enrico Colantoni, Elliott Gould, Sanaa Lathan, and Brian Cranston. An outbreak caused a lot of people dead and the world in confusion... but the worst has yet to come.


***** SPOILER ALERT *****


WHAT I LIKED:

First of all, I was happy with the way Steven Soderbergh handled this movie. He made this docu-style and the actors in the movie didn’t really overact. The story overcame the actors because except for Laurence Fishburne and Matt Damon, no one really stood out... which is nice because it’s rare to see a good movie without a big time lead. Sure there were scenes I can live without but the story is believable. The story is also well-researched. They didn’t just patched up a bunch of infos to make the movie scary or exciting. All of a sudden it takes me to when Bird Flu, SARS, and Foot and Mouth Disease was at its peak.




By the way, I love documentary-style films because it shows seriousness in the matter. Even in The Office, you see the depth of hilarity through the vision that it’s the real world. Contagion shown in this state made the film credible.

It was as if we are checking out an in-depth look of an actual disease.




My favorite character in the movie was Jude Law’s Alan Krumwiede. The guy is a tool and just like any blogger, he wants to be called as a journalist. And just like any blogger, he wants people to always check his blog. He is attention-seeking, he wants to be all-knowing, and he doesn’t know the repercussions of his actions until it hits him.

Seeing that he has twelve million unique visitors bookmarking his blog... it kind of pissed me off.

I have like what... 576 page views? 

THE HELL!?! 


WHAT I HATED:

I can’t really say that I hated the film but checking out the outstanding reviews from the Rotten Tomatoes website, I can’t really help but disagree in two major things. 




First of all, it was like I’m watching the pandemic version of Valentine’s Day. The problem with this kind of film is that it is hard for people to fall in love with it fully because you have to choose a favorite. There is the Matt Damon part, the Marion Cotillard part, the Kate Winslet part, the Jennifer Ehle part, and the Jude Law part. There is also a part where they trace Gwyneth Paltrow’s flashback. The Winslet and Law parts should have been more significant but it failed to attract proper attention and the Cotillard part went MIA before resurfacing at the end but at this point, her part has been a bit detached.




Perhaps my biggest beef in the film was the ending giveaway. The scenario is this – Matt Damon was planning a “prom” for his daughter in their living room. While his daughter dances with her boyfriend, Damon was checking out the pictures of his wife when Gwyneth was on a business trip in Macau. I think the chef was a clear giveaway of what to expect in the end. I don’t know what they could have done to tweak the scene but the bat poop to pig mouth to chef to Gwyneth scene came off redundant.

It’s like you repeat the origin again for those moviegoers you perceived as dumb.


VERDICT:

One blog writer was right when he said that the movie will make you doubt on whatever thing you touch, breathe, and perceive. If feel that the movie did well in exposing our inability to cope when dangerous diseases strike. If I was harsh in comparing this to Valentine's Day, maybe I can some this up as if this was a disaster flick like 2012 with better acting. 

While the movie isn’t all that flawless, it is still a good flick to bear.

Game over.


0 Awesome Critics:

Post a Comment